Crown Moulding and Small Projects

In the past week, we have completed a bunch of small projects, one big project and shopped for furniture in the room. I am going to break it up in to 2 posts, one today and one tomorrow! Honestly, we are getting projects done faster than I can write them up, which is obviously great for real life, but not great when you’re trying to document everything!

Starting with the last big project in this room, we installed the crown moulding in the Living Room last Sunday! We use a mitre saw and nail gun which makes crown moulding install go very quickly. We finished this room in about 2 hours.

img_1395

img_1394

I was able to caulk it yesterday (Sunday) and will be trying to paint it tonight. Also, we were able to get the moulding around the closet doors and basement door, as you can see partially in the above picture. That needs to be painted too.

Another project that got done was building a column around the light/electrical near the front door. I didn’t take a good before picture, but you can see in the below pic, that there were wires and the light switches for the exterior and interior lights that needed to be enclosed. We decided to go with a wood column.

capture

To build the column, I just cut 3 pieces of wood to size and glued and nailed them together. I did need to rip down one piece to fit as needed and jigsaw a box for the light switches to fit.

img_1381

img_1388

img_1384

I also patched the wood in the floors near the entry from when we demo’d the entry wall a few weeks ago:

IMG_1385.JPG

Both the floors and the column got stained with Golden Oak and got crown moulding installed at the top.

IMG_1401.JPG

I still need to grab a piece of moulding to clean up where the column meets the wall.

Picking back up where we left off last week, we grouted the tiled entry way with black grout. Black grout looks great, but is kind of pain since you really need to clean the tiles very well to make sure none of the grout sticks around on the tile or stains any surrounding area. Here’s the tile all done:

img_1405

I used some 409 to shine up the tiles after about an hour of dry time for the grout. I still need to paint the entry step black (the maroon area at the bottom of the picture), and we are getting a new marble step to fit the full entry. Since we removed the wall to the right of the entry, the current marble step doesn’t fit anymore, it needs to be about 4 inches longer. The new one is on its way!

That’s it for today! I’ll be back to tomorrow to show you the magical product that brought our floors back to life and all the new fun stuff we bought to start making this area livable!

 

One thought on “Crown Moulding and Small Projects

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s