Finishing the Window Surround

Let’s start with the bad news: I did not get the crown moulding finished last weekend. That means no full room reveals yet! I ran in to some major issues in the fact that the crown moulding doesn’t fit between the ceiling and the cabinet tops (it’s too big). I think I figured out to fix it, but we are out of town for the next 2 weeks, so it will have to wait!

Good News: I finished out the window moulding and can give you sneak peeks of the tile that goes to the ceiling!

Let’s start with the before:

IMG_0016

Since we had to build this wall out almost 8″ to keep the wall level, we knew we would need to customize the surround. To start, I used thin plywood along the sides and top and a thicker piece of pine to act as the window sill. It was ugly, but that was all going to be fixed in step 3:

IMG_0040

Next, I cut and installed some corner moulding with a 45° angle corner. After that was installed, I caulked everything! Last step was to give it a nice coat of paint:

IMG_0047

IMG_0051

As you can see in the above picture, I was also able to finish some crown moulding around the tile, but really, it was so nice outside, I gave up and hit the pool instead.

I might get to working on that crown mounding in the next week or 2, but maybe not. Summer is just too unpredictable with way more fun stuff going on 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s