I might actually have more than one post this week since we had a really productive weekend! Collin and I have been out of town for the past 2 weeks, so it is finally time to get back in to the swing of things around here.
Our goal at this point in the renovation, before fully diving in to the Bathrooms we need to fully gut ($$$), is trying to go back through the house and finish all of the detail work that needs to be done. So we are starting in the front living room.
Last week, Collin had off on Thursday so I tasked him with finishing some detail areas of the floors. When we laid the floors we were missing a piece called the Stair Nose. I needed one that matched the hardwoods we laid, so I ordered it from Home Depot ages ago. And then it sat in our living room collecting dust because neither Collin nor I had ever installed one before, and didn’t want to mess it up.
I don’t have a great before picture, but you can sort of see below that the edge around the step down to the tiled entry is just cut straight across.
To start, we pulled up 7 rows of flooring. Since it just floats on top, this was easy. Then Collin cut a piece of the edging at a 45 degree angle and then cut to length for both the left and right side. We installed that with nails.
All that was left was to re-lay the hardwoods and shorten the end ones. Here is the finished product:
We do need to finish off the edges with 1/4″ Round still, but overall it is a much cleaner, more finished look.
In addition to this little flooring updates, big moves are happening in the front living room. Since my last post, the big temp couch is gone and we were able to rearrange furniture to get the room back to the way it should be. Also, we ordered a new rug from rugsusa.com, and bought some IKEA curtains to finish off the window areas.
Here is the before and after of the same view:
Before: The cowhide rug that used to be here had an incident with a dog we were fostering (not the angel in the picture below, he is a good good boy). That had to go so we did a little rug borrowing from the den and guest bedroom. This rug works in here, but I need to buy a new rug to fill the rooms that we just took from. Also, the Window Treatments look unfinished. I think its because the windows are so tall (like 6.5 feet tall), but they need something else. Finally, the mirror above the fireplace, while so cute, can only be used by someone over 7 feet tall.
After: A more neutral rug in the right size (6 x 9) helps lighten the space up. I picked up the RITVA window treatments from Ikea (118″) and hemmed them with simple iron hem tape to the right height. Finally, the mirror has been moved to a more useful location (more on that later this week)
Later this week I’m going to post all about the new front door (the steal of the century $), a simple update to make some affordable art look custom, and a DIY Console table I built! Get excited!