Closets, Chairs and Demo

This post is going to be all over the place, so get ready.

I may suck at keeping this blog up to date, but that doesn’t mean things aren’t moving right along over here. Today’s post is to get everyone up to date on where we are, and what’s next!

  1. New Living Room Chairs:

So, Ikea has totally stepped up their game lately and our new chairs are a great example of that. I have been hunting for chairs for this room for a while now, and just needed to get it done. Believe it or not, I have never ordered a piece of furniture online. I have a really hard time committing to comfy things without actually trying them out. So I headed to Ikea to see what they had in stock.

Here are the chairs we chose:

Capture

What really sold me on these, were that the covers can be washed and changed if needed. Also, you get to pick the leg color.

Here are ours in the living room:

IMG_0744

Love them! And so does Chase:

IMG_0755

2. Painted Closet Doors:

Completely changing gears, I finally got around to painting the closet doors. I was really on the fence about whether to replace them or paint them. I was really hating the glass inserts since they looked so dated, but they were solid wood doors and the new doors wouldn’t have been. So quality of door won, and I gave the doors 3 coats of white paint.

Here are the before and afters:

IMG_0149

IMG_0730

So much better, and I actually hate the glass insert way less than I did before!

3. Closet Demo:

When we renovated the office, we didn’t touch the interior of the closet. This past weekend, I was feeling really motivated and decided that some demo was in order. Here is what the closet looked like when we started:

IMG_0754

I removed all of the plaster and slats from the walls, and demo’d down to the studs.

IMG_0777

Next up is finishing framing and dry-walling this space. Once that’s done all that’s left is paint (walls and door) and adding a shelf and rod. Then this room is done!!

4. Stairway Work:

Last project that is in the works right now is the stairway. Here is what it looked like when we bought the house:

IMG_0183

A few weeks back, Collin removed all of the paneling, and we were left with this:

IMG_0307

It has to get worse before it gets better, right?

I keep trucking along on painting those spindles. That is the never ending project, but it’s close to being done.

This past Sunday, Collin started the Drywall work:

IMG_0757

And here is where we are as of today:

IMG_0775

Looking better, but we have a long way to go. I am going to have to write a whole post about this at some point, but I figured we would get you up to speed for now.

Whew, that was a long post. But you are all caught up now! The next few weeks and weekends are going to be jam packed, so stay tuned!

 

 

DIY Trestle Console Table

The area near the front door, where you walk in and out of the house, has been an issue for months. I kept trying to use things from around the house to help this area do its job and it was failing every time.

For a little while, it looked like this:img_1584

A very little while, since I stole that map to put in the den. The mail holder was too high, and honestly, we don’t get that much mail, so the mail holder was just filling up with junk that should have just gone in the trash. The hooks were ok, but they were too thick to fit normal key chains and the bench ended up just being a drop zone for things coming and going in and out of the house.

Finally, I decided we needed something better. If it was going to act as a drop zone, let make it function as best as possible. Here’s what it needed to do:

  • Spot for Keys and Wallet
  • Spot to Hold the dog’s leash
  • Table Height
  • Mirror (to make sure you look semi-presentable on a daily basis)
  • Deep enough for seasonal decor
  • Cheap, but still real wood (it needed to be sturdy, but since we don’t know how long we will be in this house, we don’t want to spend a ton of money on large furniture pieces)

Seems easy enough, right?

First, I decided to take the mirror from above the fireplace and add it to this wall, as detailed in this post. Then I needed to sketch up a design for the console table. One thing I had was a leftover wood table top from an old dining table. It has been in our basement since we moved in. I knew I wanted to use this as the top to the console. This helped dictate the design. I headed off to Home Depot to collect my supplies.

I started out thinking I would use 4×4 posts as the 4 legs of the table, but once I got them home they were way too thick. So, I had to adjust my plans. Here was the sketch:

img_0684-heic.jpg

To start, I cut the posts to 30″ high. Then I cut the table top to 20″ deep.

I attached two 1×4 (cut at 18″) to the top and bottom of the post, to make an I shape. I secured it with glue and screws:

IMG_0642.HEIC

Then I had to whip out some knowledge that was buried deep. Luckily, Google saved my life, but I needed to use the Pythagorean Theorem to figure out the length of the angled edges. I’m not getting it to details about how I figured it out, because it literally hurts my brain, but due to the size of the piece and that my mitre saw only goes up to 45 degree angles, it somehow popped out that the pieces needed to be 9″ long.

I cut 8 pieces to size with a 45 degree angle on each edge. Then I stained everything before putting it together:

IMG_0643.HEIC

IMG_0644.HEIC

IMG_0645.HEIC

IMG_0646.HEIC

Final Product:

IMG_0651

IMG_0652

Since we already had the table top, the full piece cost about $20 to make. $14 for the post (cut in half to make 2 legs) and $6 for the 1 x 4 board. Not too bad! Now hopefully, it actually functions in this area and gets our lives a little more organized.