Leaky Pipes and Demo!

Happy Monday!

I’m planning on lots of progress this week, which means lots of posts.

This past week/weekend was demo week and plumber quotes. I spent the majority of the week on the phone scheduling, rescheduling and meeting with plumbers getting quotes for the bathroom. We finally settled on a plumber, and he said he can start Monday (today!), but the tub and walls needed to be removed for him to start work.

Collin had removed all of the Drop Ceiling and the drywall/tiles around the tub last week. Here’s what it looked like as of Friday:

IMG_0883.jpg

The good news is we gained between 8-10″ in ceiling height, once we removed the drop ceiling. The bad news is during demo, we must have tweaked a pipe and had water leaking everywhere. Now, it was not water flowing out, but rather a very very quick dribble out of the pipe. Since this bathrooms sits directly on top of the brand new kitchen ceilings, any water would have left big water marks on the ceiling. I was panicking a little. We rushed downstairs and turned off the main water to the house.

I was able to pick up some epoxy putty at home depot and that slowed the leak, but for the past 2 days we have needed to turn the water on from the basement, shower, do dishes, go to the bathroom and rush back downstairs to turn the water off. This was super fun for us, and our guests this weekend (luckily it was only Mom, so no need to impress!)

Sunday morning, after my mom left, Collin and I got to work. The plan was to somehow remove the tub. I bought some heavy duty moving straps thinking we could just walk the cast iron Jacuzzi out of the bathroom. Yeah, ok. This is how far we got it:

IMG_0888

There was no chance that was happening. So I did some last minute research and found out you can break cast iron up with a sledgehammer. Que Collin’s happy dance!

We headed to our local Ace Hardware actually buy a sledge hammer.It was fate. Look at the sledgehammer’s name:

IMG_0891 (1)

When we got home, we laid an old towel over the area we wanted to smash and hit it with the sledge hammer. It was much more brittle than expected. Basically, once you bash through the maroon epoxy, the cast iron only needs 1-2 hard hits before it breaks in to big chunks:

IMG_0893

IMG_0892

After we got the top half off, we used a sawzall to cut the copper pipes and remove the engine:

IMG_0897

IMG_0898

Then it was easy to move right out. We demo’d the rest of the drywall that was around the tub, and cleaned up:

IMG_0901

It was about 4:00 PM at this point, but we decided we could do some more work. We wanted to get the ceiling framed, before the plumber installs the bathtub. We had the wood already and got to work. We installed the edge pieces first:

IMG_0903

And then cut and installed the cross beams:

IMG_0904

We finished up around 5:00 PM.

Now we are already for the plumber to come this morning. He is going to re-route the water supply and drain to the back wall and prep for a shower to be installed.

Its going to be a busy week, but the goal is to be showering in the new shower by Sunday night!

IMG_0905

 

Bathroom Renovation – Day 1

Finally, the Holidays are over and we can get back in to full blown renovation mode over here! And this is an exciting one because we are going to reno our Bathroom! Currently our house has 1 Bathroom. We will be installing a second one done the line, but for now we are in desperate need of renovating our only Bathroom.

Let’s start at the beginning. Our current bathroom is straight out of the 80’s, full of pink tile, faux wood drop ceiling and the ‘piece de resistance’ – a maroon Jacuzzi. The positives of the bathroom currently are the size, it is huge for only having one bathroom, and the condition (for being 30+ years old, there is not a single chipped tile!

Here are the before pics (straight from the realtors when we bought the house):

IS1vkrv376z27h0000000000

IS9lm0jy13d0re0000000000

And here is the current Layout:

Capture.JPG

The plan is to remove the Jacuzzi and make a combo tub/shower in its place. Then we can change the standing shower to a linen closet and extend the vanity to become a double vanity. Of course we are going to change out all of the tile, drywall the ceilings, build a custom vanity and install a new tub and lighting. It is going to be a huge project!

Here is the new layout:

Capture2

This weekend, I got started. While Collin was a work on Monday, I decided to take on 2 small projects in here, while I had a few hours of free time.

The first project was attacking the window area. It had horrendous vertical blinds that I couldn’t look at for one more second. So I ripped those off and sorted through my craft drawer for some extra vinyl frosting I had left over from another project.

IMG_0861

Yes that is the neighbors windows! Ah the beauty of  living in attached row homes. 

To start, I measured the window area and cut a piece of frosting 1 inch bigger on both sides.  Then I peeled the backing and used a credit card to smooth it out on the window.

IMG_0864

Once it was attached, I used a razor to trim the excess.

IMG_0868

Of course, I ran out of frosting on the top window, but thankfully, I don’t think anyone can see in from all the way up there (hopefully).

IMG_0869

Now I just need to get the window surround painted, and that tiny area will be done 🙂

I also took some time to remove the pink sear-sucker wallpaper from the window wall. I peeled the top layer off with a scraper tool, then used our wall paper steamer to scrape the under layers:

IMG_0872

IMG_0877

I promise, I cleaned up afterwards!

Overall, not too much progress, but it is great to have gotten started. Lucky for you, we will be documenting the entire reno here so stay tuned!